Friday, March 12, 2010

Last Time when I died

Last night I had this very bizarre dream. It was that I was in a battlefield, holding my position in a bunker firing my Simonov on the opponent on the other side. Blood and dust surrounded me amid the howling of fire. After taking a few shots I wondered which battle is this, what is that I am fighting for? I examined my blood stained dusty uniform to find a swastika mark on it. Ok so I am a bloody Nazi, but which place is this? There is no sea around so it can’t be Normandy; neither can I find snow so it is not Stalingrad either, and since Germans had mostly air attacks on UK so it can’t be London too. I guess this godforsaken place is Sicily, where else? It means I must be fighting the bloody Americans. Good!! Where is General Patton I wanna directly shoot him and end the battle. But wait, I admire him. I also admire George Scott who refused the Oscar playing Patton. I admire both of them so why kill any? But hey I am a soldier, right? I too must be fighting for a cause, whatever that may be.

Oh Jesus fucking Christ I need to focus. I aimed my gun at an enemy. Shit man it is the face of my childhood friend. I don’t wanna shoot him. But what if he does? I can’t take any fucking chances. No No certainly I can’t. It was the bollywood effect that instead of hailing Hitler I shouted ‘Hail Mogambo’ and took my shot. Holy Arjun! It was perfect. Headshot. My childhood friend died, not much pain ahhh . Simultaneously I felt both a guilty sigh and triumphic ooze. Lord we men, what a basterd we are? We are more ethical then we think and far more immoral than we could probably imagine.

I don’t know whether it was guilt or triumph but I lost my focus. Consequently a bullet stroked me, piercing my chest, blood oozing out of it. It hurt like anything. Oh lord! How unfair I am goanna die, and die so young, how sad. But an inner voice explained me don’t panic, don’t panic! It’s just a dream, a play and nothing lasting. Yes and all of a sudden the pain was over. Hurray. I begin to think what should be my dying words. ‘Jesus Christ!’ or ‘Hey Ram!’ or what about ‘Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan’. Confused. I just muttered “Sorry mate! We are just a pawn in the game” and decided to die.

But wait it’s not over man. It’s a dream and I saw the aftermath too. The scene was my grand burial ceremony. Several guns were fired. Ohh Great! I must have been a high ranking officer and not just a private. Generals with stoical faces were giving me salutes. I tried to look for Hitler, he was absent. That disappointed. People came and gone but at the end this lady remained. She came to my grave and put some flowers and a photograph of me and her together. She wept for a long while and when tears refused to shed then she too left. Meanwhile I kept on wondering who she was? Girlfriend? fiancĂ©,? Wife? Or as I was a soldier on a war, was she a whore I was sleeping with, who fell in love with me? I tried checking her fingers but my vision kept on blurring. First I was killed and then puzzled, such is life. A bitch. And for the first time after that shot I regretted dying, even in a dream. I know I will wake up alive in the morning but I will never know why the hell she was crying.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

All the things that are forgotten...scream for help in one's dreams....

Nick said...

superbly written...jitni bhi tareef karo kam hai....

Saurabh Rai said...

@Prerna: Vry rightly said, but i never wished to kill a friend :)

@Nick: Ahmm Ahmm..

AbP.. said...

a class apart..worth some serious feels..and great appreciations..tremendous sir..its simply tremendous..

Saurabh Rai said...

@Abp: Serious feels?? Jesus fucking christ!! Buddy its just a war and that too in a dream.

AbP.. said...

serious feels meant..for others to feel..everyone have unusual dreams..but being tough to explain..do not get written down..you did that beautifully..
but got me wrong!!

Saurabh Rai said...

@ABP: No there are vry few ppl whom I hv read rytly, u being one of those.
I just meant baba Joker's "Why so serious??" ;)

Unknown said...

yaar kya tumko sach me aise sapne aate hai.

u need a psychatrist.

:D


by the way, congrats for a great work of imagination.

mr tombrene u r getting better day by day. i think u hav got the thresold.

y shoudnt u start writing professionally.

Saurabh Rai said...

@Ashu: Thanx yaar. Till now I didn't knw that I had readers like you.
Mr. Tambourine man is on a trip upon the magic swirling ship where experiences are diversifying his consciousness :)

ABHISHEK ANAND said...

enough of serious stuff i guess...looking forward for sum interesting post may be a bit of humour ...a sincere request from a reader who wish to explore other genres of your writing coz these stuff however thoughtful needs to be once in a while..

Saurabh Rai said...

@Anand: Your point taken sir, for this blog as well as for the lyf outside its ambit.