Sunday, September 23, 2012

Down south so far


“Chennaaai !!! Dude you’re going to be so dead” declared a friend confidently as I indifferently informed where my professional standards were chartered to. Learned pessimisms were shot, to kill me in Delhi itself, from all and sundry including even those who never had crossed Vindhyas once. Diverse set of warning were offered, from an expected "It’s so Hot there" to challenging "The Language will deafen and dumb you" to even epitaphs as "May your libido rest in peace", from each according to his personal concerns. 

Ironically, the more people pushed to dispirit me, the further determined I turned to enjoy the Chennaite stint. Libido issue was bothersome, but given Delhi too did not turn to be a place for restlessness down south, I overcame that. And I overcame other pity concerns citing to others in a self assuring tone, that how great a recluse I am and Chennai will be all peace and solitude. I even re-read 'English, August', the story of a troubled IAS trainee in an obscure spot in Tamil Nadu, this time with the aim to criticize Sen at every complaint, to ensure that the problem was with the spoilt brat and not Madna.

Finally, with “Unity in diversity” & “Vasudhev Kutumbakkam” as my guiding mantras, silently recited on loop, I stepped in Chennai. For my acquired karmyogi’s mindset, prepared for all the adversities in the entire universe expecting nothing in return, even a smiling ‘Namaste’ from a semi-Hindi-speaking-pure-Tam-taxi-driver (a rare species) felt bliss. The hour long ride with ‘Anna’ paralleled a talkathon, where discussing Rajni, Rehman and R.Ashwin  I appreciated in depths the immense indulgence in entertainment of an average Indian and its benefits for national Integration . The next 10 days at company accommodation was a grand stay with royal treatment, a pleasure due since 6 years given the name of my graduation hostel was “King’s palace”.

They say after summit the journey ahead is all downhill. They weren’t lying, not to me. Right out of the palatial stay the kings were reduced to nomads, abhorred by an entire class-community called 'Flat owners', for they were ‘not-religiously-entitled-to-have-sex’ (read bachelors) and hence devoid of even the least possibility of a civilized existence, a mythical correlation which some regression analyst should try discard. Even an hour long telephonic interview with a prospective owner, where we pledged to stay away from any pleasure of flesh, both literal and figurative, went disappointing as the established conviction said “bachelors are unhygienic species”. Anyways just before its infant death, the sinking optimism curve met an asymptote and ever since we are engaged in settling down, which given the pace might extend till infinity.     

Looking back, the Chennaite stint has already transformed me a lot as a person. I have parted ways with unsound chauvinism and no longer regard an umbrella unmanly, given the heat and consequent tan. The local food, and the serving manners, took my appetite to abysmal depths and my buckle to long forgotten holes. My tolerance knows no boundary thanks to the auto rickshaw union which has raped both my frugality and sense of justice at the rate of Rs 30 per Km, recurrently. "Aaiyyoo" no more sounds funny and I no longer feel distraction of youthful aspirations, as 'PYTs' are hard to find and even when discovered are so uninviting that one mischievous signal and their fathers might be chasing you.   

Anyways, as I said, I came here seeking peace and solitude, as in it’s a poor man’s Himalayas. I have been offered both but unfortunately with a tinge of loneliness. While you are concerned that you got to do more in life and are trying hard to motivate and push yourself for that extra mile, the city in its laid back attitude, nudges you and says “Relax!! Why so impatient? There is more in life than you think”, but offers little choices. The simplicity of its people, their modest way of life and the pride in their culture all interlock perfectly yet as in a jigsaw puzzle with a missing piece somewhere there is a void left, blemishing not only the image but creating a hole in you as well. Combination of inner void and restlessness, a fertile ground for fruitful dissatisfaction. While I raise my dissatisfaction quotient I am already into creating an alternative universe, seeking worthy pseudo intellectual existence, through active self indulgence and wandering thoughts scribed all over my walls, searching what I should be, whoever that is.      

4 comments:

baibhav said...

Awesome piece... every NI must have felt exactly the same..

baibhav said...

Awesome work dude!! ... every NI will be able to empathize...

Anonymous said...

indeed an enticing read..

anshul said...

well written saurabh