Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Cultural hypocrisy

Yesterday while traveling back to college after durgapuja vacation, I once again encountered a malady universal nationwide. It was like this; I had one attractive young lady seated near by. She must have been in her early twenties and probably was a college student. She seemed decent and looked incredibly innocent. She was very expressive when she was along with her family at the railway station but right that moment she was alone and appeared bit nervous. She was the only member of contrary gender amid a herd of bachelors and few wedded middle aged uncle’s seemingly discontented with the women they had back at home and surely intrigued with this solitary lass. All eyes were gazing her and exploring each and every nuance of her body. Most fascinating admirers were a father and son each one constrained by other yet unable to relinquish her magnetism. I kind of felt sorry for her to be tangled in this awkward situation and a bit sorry for the bachelors around who were exceedingly excited by her presence yet unable to convey it. But I felt much sorrier for those discontented uncle’s for whom life probably had no subsequent chances. In such circumstances my policy is to act as if I am too engrossed in the journal or novel in my hand that I am totally oblivious of the scene around. But that was a journey long enough to confirm that I was a dumb imbecile, if I continuously trailed that policy of mine. So meanwhile I swapped my eyes from my book to catch her eyes and glinted mine eyes in a manner to convey her ‘Look miss I do understand the gravity of this uneasy situation you are going through and I am very sorry for you and also I hope you understand this that I am not in anyway involved in it. But at the same time I am not in any position to help it and I hope you understand that too’.

Finally after few apparently long hours for her and too short a time for her admirers the train arrived at her destination and she left. With her was gone the obligation of sham outward show of each and everyone present and all were back to their originality. Sooner people initiated discussing about things relevant to their life and then moved ahead to the irrelevant ones. Mostly craps, I tell you. Among all this crap some restless soul instigated the usual ‘U.S. superiority’ Vs the ‘Rest of world’ chat which soon turned into ‘Rest of the world’ Vs ‘India’ chat and which was finally diverted into the cliché ‘India’s rich cultural heritage’ Vs the ‘profane western culture’ chat. (It’s really amazing how much we love to only ‘talk’ about our true Indian culture and rarely pursue it). Now in order to keep discussions going on and to look modern and pragmatic thinkers few took the western side. One could tell by merely looking into their eyes how nakedly modern they were. While the loyalists were busy emanating their points and the moderns were busy pushing their meager modern knowledge, someone among the patriots brought forward the point how women always were and still are respected in India like nowhere else. Well at this juncture, I who was till now silent and appeared ignorant among those enlightened minds thought of interrupting them and to remind them of their behavior when that pretty young thing was around. But something inside me forbids me to do so. My inner intuitions were approved when even the pretending modernist espoused the idea of women enjoying respectful and dignified position in India like nowhere else. And thus I witnessed yet another Indian cultural hypocrisy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nicely composed and well researched indeed. Did it really happened or it's just a 'figment of imagination'?
Just kidding, You know it's also a cultural kind of things in us.

Saurabh Rai said...

Well its researched, analysed and then remixed. It's mostly 'figment of reality' & partially 'figment of imagination'.