Thursday, November 13, 2008

What's in the name?

I and one of my roommates who also shares my first name are cheek and jowl when it comes to confer on generally social/political issues and sporadically asocial/apolitical ones. Many a times this discussion goes ad nauseam and many of our dorm’s neighboring colleagues join us in it. My second roommate, a pure maggu, habitually engrossed deep in his books and often reluctant to these enduring deliberations, at times gets thrilled by the nature of the subject matter and jumps on the bandwagon to place his outlook. Among all the numberless solemn and silly issues which we thrash out we recently had a debate on the significance of a persons name in determining his success.

He declared that name matters a lot and in this matter he is in doldrums as his name (Saurav) doesn’t sounds resembling the name of a high profile achiever with too many feathers in his cap. Given my name (Saurabh) and measuring my aspirational dreams I had to disagree. He then asked me to name a single incredibly eminent personality with a name as silly as ours. I instantly replied Sourav Ganguly, thinking that the discussion was over and all. But he argued that the surname Ganguly worked for him and he is better known by that name only. Well, there was a point. I tried my hands on few other names but all in vain. Though I figured out few silly names among small achievers, but not a single one amongst the crème de la crème.

I placed forward numerous optimistic points in favor of my ideology but my words of wisdom were falling on a deaf ear. We sustained this juvenile talk for few additional minutes and then came to a full circle. Having a semester examination the very next morning and still not having been able to conquer half the colossal syllabus we decided to end the conversation and toggled back to burn the midnight oil. But however hard I tried I was incapable to confine my thoughts to the Xerox in my hand and kept on thinking back over our plausible contemplation.Then out of the blue I remembered the very famous lines from Shakespeare’s masterwork ‘Romeo and Juliet'.

To Quote-
--“What’s in the name? That which we call a rose, By any other name would smell as sweet.”

I hadn’t reflected much over these lines when I read it for the first time. According to my roommate poor Juliet seems to be absolutely oblivious of the intricate complexity of the real world. Only had she not been born in an elite family. His answer to Juliet would be 'A Lot. Trust me.'

Anyway, I still take a sanguine view in spite of my name. Don’t worry Juliet, even Romeo may defer but on these lines I am with you.

No comments: