Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Chapter 2

Once father told us that as a youngster he wished to be a businessman, however, due to lack of support from his father, which I distrust, and, more importantly as I consider, lack of proper tenacity he took law as a safe route of life and enrolled in one of the best Law school, to learn the very basics of twisting and breaching law and to gain consummate skills in finding loopholes in the lengthiest constitution ever written. The astuteness of a once aspiring businessman and the skilled interpretation of a bright law grad formed a deadly combo, and within a short span of years my father surpassed the entire sexagenarian veterans of his field, in terms of both riches and the respect it brings. After every win photographs of him, flanked by his senile counterparts long parched of success; quenching their thirst of fame by sharing trivial side positions, emerged in newspapers, which hailed him as a champion lawyer. But the profession which showered him both fame and fortune, and the way in which it brought them, prohibited my conscience from giving him the reverence a father ought to have.

----------------------

At that time I couldn’t help but feel vortex of new anger whirling with the already pending ones inside me. However hard I tried to suppress it, it kept bubbling up. I tried to compromise the unfettered emotions but they refused to bow, and strained against my heart. This entire furious wave on a single day pulled me back, curtailed my spirit and made me even more peevish. Suddenly, the insulting shame imposed on a recently earned dignity, the concealed guilt of being a looser, the whirling anger waiting to be spilled, the hurtful professionalism of a heartless father and the sudden absence of a steadfast admirer; all came together. Unable to contain all of them in a vicious concert in the likelihood of facing the lawyers another possible lecture on the value of commitment ……. I left in the middle of the conversation. With nothing to do, I went to the place where I go with nothing to do, and the place where everything worth doing and saying is done and said, without having to do or say.

No comments: